- INTERESTING FACTS: HISTORY  -

The environment in which Torre Del Fondo farm holiday centre is situated, is saturated with hundreds of years of fascinating history (checked with official documents from the Archives of the State of Ferrara) both of the farm of which it is a part and the building in which it is located.

At the moment only the history of the farm is available but soon, as soon as the research has been finished and certified, the history of the building will also be available.

 
History of the farm on which Torre Del Fondo Farm Holidays is found

Torre Del Fondo farm holiday centre is part of a farm (of around 250 acres) which in its turn is part of an agricultural estate which extends over an area of over 500 acres. The name of this agricultural estate is "Ghisiliera". A historical study of the "Ghisiliera" estate follows.
The historical research has been carried out with great care and expertise by Professor Cerioli Gianni, an extremely helpful person to whom we offer our most heartfelt thanks.

The farm whose history we are about to look at has always been a single property, despite expansions and reductions, and it has always remained in possession of wealthy families who occupied a high place in the society of the district of Ferrara.

The proprietors were rarely present on the property, preferring to entrust the running of the place to their tenants. The latter took on workers and periodically collected various rent payments, from which they detracted their own rent for the property.

The first owners of the farm, proven by documents, were the Galvani, farmers employed by the Duke.
The first settlement which definitely regards the farm is an act of 6 October1532, with which Battista Galvani gives the farm to Zamino di Gerardo Galvani as a guarantee for a loan received. In this period the estate was made up almost exclusively of wooded land, with willow trees and reed thickets, almost not drained at all and free from buildings. 
The act in question describes the farm as follows, in the original language:

"Terreno boschivo di stara 217, con saliceti bassi et chiari et stroparoli e gioncole pavirolle e cannille di diversa qualità, di buona matheria setosa per la Gennaior parte, posto in luogo detto li Retratti della Torre del Fondo, distretto di Ferrara" (Fonte: ASFE, ANAFE, G. Negrini, mat. 800, pacco 12, 1612 cc. 121-23 recto).

The  property stayed in the possession of the descendents of the Galvani family until 8 August1625, when Girolamo and Baldassare Galvani sold it to marquises Francesco and Ludovico, sons of Onofrio Bevilaqua.
Following this the farm ended up in the sole proprietorship of Francesco, who included it in the dowry of his daughter Bradamante Bevilaqua married for the second time in 1647 with Count Francesco Calcagnini IV.

In the period more or less between 1681 and 1685, descendents of the Calcagnini family (with the work of Giuseppe Scrofa and his wife Deianira Calcagnini) continued with the draining of the estate constructing two farmhouses, a hayloft and the Tower (the building which the Farm Holidays centre now occupies). This was a particularly costly operation and worsened the Calcagnini family’s financial difficulties.

In the 1690s the estate was made maximum use of by various rents and incomes. However, the financial ruin of the Calcagnini family was by this time irreversible; because of this they were obliged to put the property up for sale.
In 1698 Marquis Francesco Pio Ippolito Ghisilieri of Bologna came forward.  He was soon to obtain Ferrarese citizenship and, because of this, was buying various properties in Ferrara and its province. The sale was completed with a notarial document dated 13 August1698.
Amongst the various entries quoted in the notarial document which describe the property which is part of the estate, we can read the following:

"...Torre a tre solari murata di pietra in calzina coperta di coppi in tavelle, con scale d'asse a lumaga di Pioppa, qual torre di presente serve ad uso domiciliare..." (Fonte: ASBO, Archivio Ghisilieri, ramo principale, istrumenti, Mazzo 23 fs 38, cc14v-15r).

Two years after buying the farm, Marquis Francesco Pio Ippolito Ghisilieri had a small church built on the land which he named the oratory of Santa Lucia, which went from being a public oratory to being the parish seat for Coronella and Vigarano Mainarda.  This small church still exists today even though it is no longer consecrated or used.

In the years that followed the property does not seem to have undergone major changes until the act of 6 August1792, with which Marquis Francesco Ghisilieri-Calderini, overwhelmed by debts, sold it on to Captain Carlo Antonio Tebaldi.
In the bill of sale an expert report is attached (from the Bolognese expert Vittorio Conti) from which we learn that the estate was composed of the following properties: Pomposa, Tesoriera, Carolina, Osteria Vecchia in Porotto and Brillante.

On 9 October1825 the descendents of the Tabaldi family, having to move to Milan, sold the property to Count Camillo Trotti. The latter, on 14 August1839, sold the estate to the former privateer Michele Bergando di Antonio.

In 1842 the Bergado family proceeded to restructure all the farm buildings present on the property and to construct a farmhouse situated between the Tower and the oratory of Santa Lucia.

On 26 October1846 the Bergado family sold the entire estate to Count Michele Fausto Prosperi.

On 10 Octoberthe Prosperi family sold the property to (Pietro Paolo Balboni, who bought it on behalf of) Giacomo Nagliati.

On 25 October1906 the brothers Tancredi and Aristide Nagliati, in their names and the names of their other brothers sold to Cavalier Guglielmo Zamorani. In the bill of sale you can read the following:

"...La tenuta Ghisiliera posta in Vigarano Mainarda, costituita da due corpi di terra separati fra loro dalla Via Coronella...comprendente: a) la possessione Tesoriera con casa d'abitazione fattorale (la Torre), distinata con il numero civico 448, fabbricati ad uso stalle per cavalli e per bovini e fienili, abitazioni coloniche, magazzeno, cantina, granaio, tettoia ed altre adiacenze, ed oratorio fornito di altare, banchi e tutti gli accessori per l'ufficiatura con una stanza aggiunta a fare da sacrestia..." (Fonte: Archvio Notarile Distrettuale di Ferrara: compravendita Nagliati-Zamorani, notaio G. Leziroli, 25/07/1906, repertorio 5257-4986).

From then up until the present day the Ghisiliera estate has been the property of the Zamorani family.

 

 

 

b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b

b
b
b
 

HOME